Introduction The first official Gay Pride March in Boston was held on Saturday, June 26, 1971.This was a distinctly political event that was preceded by a full week of workshops on various issues affecting the emerging gay community, such as coming out and gay spirituality.The march route encompassed four major stops: the Bay Village bar Jacques, Boston police headquarters on Berkeley Street, the State House on Beacon Hill, and St. At each stop, a speaker presented a list of demands.
Speaker Laura Mc Murry told the throng, quot; As gay people, we have been given a second-class citizenship. We will not be put down any longer." This walking tour follows the route of Boston's first Gay Pride March in 1971 and offers information about different services, community organizations, issues, and individuals related to this route.
The Flyer: "Two years ago on June 27, homosexuals in New York City for the first time refused OPPRESSION AS USUAL.
They stood up when the Stonewall Bar on Christopher Street was raided ...
We and others across the nation commemorate that event this June.
We celebrate the awakening of a vigorous gay pride and self-respect." Site 1: Jacques Cabaret and The Other Side (79 Broadway) Opened in 1938, Jacques became a gay bar in the mid-1940s.
In 1965, its owner also opened, directly across the street, The Other Side,the first discotheque in the city to allow same-sex dancing.
After serving as the city's only lesbian bar from the late 1960s to the early 1970s, Jacques evolved into a venue for drag performers, which remains its focus to today.
The reason Boston's first Gay Pride March started here was to confront a number of community concerns directed at what is now the city's oldest surviving GLBT establishment, Jacques.
Of primary importance to the march's organizers was the club's increasing problem with misogyny and the ill treatment of lesbian patrons.
List of Demands read outside Jacques: Site 2: Napoleon Club (52 Piedmont Street) The Napoleon Club opened as a speakeasy in 1929 and later operated as a private club with a sizeable gay clientele.
It wasn't until 1952, though, when under new ownership Napoleons became a gay bar and eventually a piano bar.